Can Dogs Eat Xylitol?
No, dogs should not eat xylitol. Xylitol is a sugar substitute often used in sugar-free gum, candies, baked goods, and some sugar-free peanut butter brands. While xylitol is safe for humans, it can be extremely toxic to dogs.
When dogs ingest xylitol, it can lead to a rapid release of insulin, causing a sudden drop in blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia). Symptoms of xylitol poisoning in dogs can include vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures, and even liver failure. In severe cases, xylitol poisoning can be fatal.
If you suspect that your dog has ingested any product containing xylitol, it is crucial to seek immediate veterinary attention. The sooner treatment is administered, the better the chances of a positive outcome.
To keep your dog safe, always check food labels and avoid feeding them any products that contain xylitol. Additionally, be cautious with items like sugar-free gum and candies, as dogs may be tempted to grab them if they are within their reach.
Always consult with a veterinarian before feeding your dog any new foods. This website is not a definitive guide